Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Greatness

I am not a great man but there is something about greatness that draws me. I suspect I would know it when I see it. No doubt Jesus was great. But does He want me to be great? I think he does, but not in the same sense as this world might define “greatness”. A sports star might be “great” but if he uses steroids, cheats on his wife and beats his kids he loses his title in my eyes – just as an example.

My working definition of Greatness as I believe God would define it: “The highest level of excellence that you can personally achieve in all areas of your life at all times.” This must be stated with one caveat: no one could be “great” at everything possible in their lives, the Olympic athlete will not also be a concert pianist but these are not what I am talking about. God has not called me to be a Concert Pianist but to the things He HAS called me to, I can be great IN them.

And who is better enabled to do just that than a Christian? My eternal questions have all been answered: God has already said I am significant in HIS eyes, He has already told me that HE is my very great reward in this life and in the life to come. God has promised to watch over me and be my rear guard. He will neither slumber nor sleep. He also promised me I will have trouble but he has overcome the world.

I read something this week that stirred me and challenged me on my view of my own excellence and greatness. In the movie “300” the Spartans are in incredible shape. There are many opinions about how these men got to be this big and some of them are discussed on this link below. This is the gym that got them that way in a matter of 16 weeks in some cases. Their outlook on excellence is portable into many areas of life. There are some photos as well and the change can be seen in their eyes.

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=36

No comments: