Friday, April 27, 2007

Authority

1 Samuel 26:17, Saul recognized David's voice and said, "Is that your voice, David my son?" David replied, "Yes it is, my lord the king."

I don’t know of anyone who has more disrespected than David was disrespected by King Saul. (I saw this because these days it is very popular to disrespect your leadership: President, managers, Senators…) King Saul was hunting David day and night. David had already spared his life once (Saul had promised to cut off the pursuit) and now Saul was hunting him again.

After all this, not only would David not kill him, he wouldn’t even disrespect him, referring to Saul as “my lord the king.”

David saw the king’s title and position came from God. David knew he wasn’t going to change that. David had amazing and total faith in God to the point that he said, “if it was the Lord who incited you against me, then may he accept [my sparing your life as] an offering.”

David knew no matter the circumstances God could be trusted and could do no wrong even if it was God HIMSELF who was causing Saul to hunt him.

I’m sure David did not like being hunted but he knew God was the one who was in control and whatever He chose was best. He didn’t need to dishonor a wicked king when that would actually dishonor the authority God had set up. I certainly would be very tempted to at least talk a little smack. (which David DID do, but only to the kings guard and not the king; See verse 16)

This is the example for me. Last month my Senator voted for something that complete drove me nuts, so I wrote her a letter. I told her what I thought but never disrespected her position. I’m certain because of this she will send me a box of candy. Well, more to the point, everything I do is before the Lord and I desire to honor Him first.

No comments: