Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Three Trends from Hell

I attended a marriage retreat this past weekend with my wife. There was so much I learned but I felt there were three trends the speakers mentioned (Larry and Sue Spousta) that were worth recording because they apply for all areas of life, not just marriage. These trends are prevalent in the Church and I’ve seen their tendency in my own life.

1- The false assumption that the Bible reduces the challenges of life to step-by-step solutions.
--instead of crying out to Jesus I, realizing that HE is my only hope. I ask: “what are the 3 things I need to do to change this situation?” Many Christian books are written in this vein. What I need to do is be on my face praying and relying on God and His mercy for direction and strength. I’m sure many of these books are great but the heart-relationship must be with Him directly.

2- Overemphasis on happiness and personal achievement.
--I’m assaulted in this culture about my happiness and what I have accomplished. This deals a crushing blow when I know God as led me somewhere and I also know that I’m not “being successful” at it. There are many reasons for this but I tend to think that God sent me down this path, therefore I’m going to be successful at it. Hebrews chapter 11 has a good list of people whom our culture (even a Christian culture) would have said were complete failures but were commended by God for their faith.

3- The belief the Bible is an optional guide on the road to emotional fulfillment.
--This was a painful one. I confess sometimes I don’t LIVE as if I take the Bible seriously. As a case in point here I will mention a temporary job I was working about a month ago at an investment bank. Working at this job was a man who was the 3rd best portfolio manager in the whole bank (the bank’s assets were among the top 10 in the country). This is no small feat. I got talking to him about investment stuff (as it is one of my hobbies) and he handed me a book. He said, “Read this and you’ll beat 95% of the portfolio managers out there.” I immediately read and digested this book as well as recommended it to my friends. In fact, I read it faster than I’ve read any other book, ever. Then I was convicted as I realized I have a book written by God. This book contains truths about the one who made me, and the entire universe. It explains to me how to live a life of PEACE regardless of my circumstances. The Bible teaches me how to live in wisdom which can save my life. The Bible teaches me how to receive ETERNAL salvation! HOW MUCH MORE IMPORTANT is that than my retirment? And yet I do not read this book with the same fervor as I read a book about money.

I believe this shows where my priorities lie. God help me.

No comments: