Monday, January 22, 2007

Trying to be obedient to God? Opposition is coming

Exodus 5:7-9

“You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don't reduce the quota.”

I have never had a “burning bush” experience but I know one thing: if I intend to be obedient to God, opposition will come; Things will likely get worse before they get better. Take Moses for instance: God told Moses to go and speak to Pharaoh. God told Moses that Pharaoh would not listen. God did not tell Moses things would get much harder for the Israelites before they got better.

Moses’ reply is oh so familiar in verses 22 and 23, “Moses returned to the LORD and said, "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people? Is this why you sent me? Ever since I went to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has brought trouble upon this people, and you have not rescued your people at all."”

As if God needed to be reminded that He has not yet rescued His people!

I tend to think if God is leading me to do something or I am obedient to something in His word that my success is easy or guaranteed quickly. (As an example, look at the life of John the Baptist. If success is getting you head chopped off in prison, then he was successful. Although, he was certainly obedient to God to the end.)

God is aware of His obligations and he will fulfill them but he is not a Cosmic Credit Card to be charged at my whim.

My responsibility is to trust God, to trust his heart, to trust His ways. This is what it means to love.

No comments: