Thursday, January 18, 2007

Awake and Alive

Romans 13:11
”The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber…”

This verse puts to words something that has haunted me for years. I am haunted by the thought that I am walking around in this life asleep even though I am awake. I am numbed by the constant flux of pleasure and “relief” that come from this world by good things and bad things.

I don't want to sleep anymore.

The verse goes on: “…clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful flesh.” (Romans 13:14)

The more I think about myself, my flesh, my life, my needs, my wants, my plans, my goals, the more I meditate on this all day long… the more I am brought into a numbing sleep. This is a sleep where I have no eyes for the Kingdom or concern for His glory; A sleep where I only concern myself with me.

King David said, “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.” (Psalm 62:1). I have attained relief from many things but only one thing has brought me true rest. I have found, like King David, intimacy with God is the only rest this world offers.

I fall on my face and call out to God for the only thing that really satisfies: Him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Brain this is awesome. xo