Sunday, August 17, 2008

revisiting numbness

So it's been over a year and a half since I started blogging. Not a TON of blogs to say but enough to have to circle the wagons and re-ask myself what I am about. I stumbled across the original entry that caused me to title this blog what I did. Romans 13:11, "The time has come for you to wake up from your slumber." I feel this is as true now as when I started if not more so. We have been made for a purpose on this earth and it is not to make money, amass things or live in fear. We live in a society that is so confused and yet we strive to emulate it at almost every level. We care not for the things God cares about: People. We care about things and what they can do for us rather that about people and what we can do for them.

General Patton once said that you grow old when your desire for comfort outweighs your sense of adventure. I think this has an incredible spiritual parallel: I grow spiritually numb as my desire for comfort outweighs my need for Jesus. If I have no awareness of my need for Him, then all I will strive for is comfort and relief. There is much relief in America. Anything I could want is right there in front of me. God responds to need so, do I need Him?

No comments: